In recent times, kidney stones have become a common health problem, especially among women. Your kidneys help in disposing off your body’s waste in the form of urine. However, when waste substances become highly concentrated in your urine, they start forming crystals or stones. With some healthy lifestyle changes, you can prevent formation of these kidney stones.
Though, the common symptom of kidney stones is occasional severe pain in otherwise “healthy” looking people, it can lead to serious health conditions like urinary tract obstruction, kidney damage etc. Research has also shown that formation of kidney stones is often a systemic problem with a link to obesity, diabetes, hypertension, and heart disease.
Take these healthy lifestyle measures to prevent or reduce your chances of recurrence of kidney stones:
1. Avoid Certain Foods: i) excess sodium in processed, packaged, fast foods, and pickels; ii) animal protein from meats, fish, and eggs; iii) high sugar in soft drinks and sodas; and iv) high oxalate content of unfermented soya products, make you more prone for developing kidney stones.
2. Eat Healthy Foods: Calcium rich foods bind oxalate in intestine and prevent them to reach your urinary system and form kidney stones. Also you need adequate magnesium from green leafy vegetables, beans, lentils, bananas and seeds. So, eat lots of fruits and vegetables, moderate amount of low-fat milk products and minimal animal protein to prevent kidney stones.
3. Drink Plenty of Fluids: Drinking lots of water dilutes your urine, prevents formation of stones and eases flushing of toxins and wastes from your body. Drink 2-3 liters of water per day, you can add lemon to effectively detoxify your body and inhibit formation of kidney stones.
4. Exercise: Sedentary lifestyle makes you more prone to kidney stones. Add a little exercise in your week like jogging for 1 hour or walking for about 3 hours to significantly reduce your risk of developing kidney stones.
5. Stress Management: There is an association between your stress levels and formation of kidney stones. Include deep breathing, yoga and other relaxation techniques in your daily routine to manage your stress.