06242017Headline:

Coventry Lifestyle Health check picks up gas poisoning in Coventry woman

A simple health check could have saved the lives of a Coventry woman and her family after it revealed she had worrying levels of carbon monoxide in her body.

Veronica Freelove attended a Lifestyle Health Check appointment at Coventry and Warwickshire Partnership NHS Trust where she received all the essential checks, including a carbon monoxide test, which indicated a higher than normal CO reading for a non-smoker.

A non-smoker’s CO reading should be between 0-6, but Veronica’s reading was a 10.

As Veronica insisted no-one in her household smoked, she was told by health adviser Beverley Durber to immediately check gas appliances in her home and warned to stop using any gas fuelled appliances until all the necessary checks had been completed.

Veronica returned home, followed Beverley’s advice, and called the National Grid Emergency Service number.

She said: “Beverley was so insistent that I should follow her advice that I called the National Grid’s freephone number and explained the outcome of my health check appointment.

“The National Grid advisor was wonderful and told me to open all windows in the home, to turn off the gas supply and that, if I was feeling unwell, I should attend Accident and Emergency immediately.

“They took down my address and, within 15 minutes of ending the call, an engineer was at my door.

“The fire in the living room was identified as the source of the carbon monoxide leak, poisoning me and my family without us knowing.

“The detector close to the boiler was too far away from the fire to pick up any risk.

“I can’t thank Beverley enough – she has saved our lives.”

Carbon monoxide is colourless, odourless and tasteless. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headaches, nausea, tiredness and chest and/or stomach pains.

Lifestyle Advisors at Coventry and Warwickshire Partnership NHS Trust provide free NHS Lifestyle Health Checks to all adults over 18 who live, or are registered with a GP, in Coventry.

Ian Palfreyman, West Midland’s Emergency Manager for National Grid, said: “We always advise people to get their gas appliances checked every year by a Gas Safe registered engineer, buy and correctly install an audible carbon monoxide detector and if they suspect they have a CO leak or can smell gas, to call the national gas emergency service on 0800 111 999.”

n To find out more about more about free services offered by the Healthy Lifestyles Team call 0300 200 0011 or email: healthylifestyles@covwarkpt.nhs.uk

What Next?

Related Articles